Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy New Year


I feel that right now this is the only post I can make today.

There are a few things I want to talk about – a few things that I would love to share, and I feel that today is the day to do it.

Today is a day to say Happy New Year.

It might be a few days late – but then it’s probably taken my brain a few days to recover enough to put words together properly, to find the right things I want to say.

The whole New Year thing for me has always been a little odd. Do I really want to celebrate yet another year of my life gone? I suppose if I had had an eventful year I would want to celebrate those events.

There have been some good moments. My sister got pregnant. This won’t be the first time I’m an Auntie, but considering that the first time it happened I was two years old, at least this time I’m old enough to actually understand what it means and get excited about it. So I am looking forward to 2013 bringing someone new into my family, a nephew for me to coo over and spoil rotten.

But to be honest 2012 went by so quickly I’m not sure I even know where the time went. It’s strange to think that when I first moved across the world to this little Caribbean Island it was 2011 – it’s now 2013.

So am I sad to see 2012 go? Not really. It was a good year for me, but it wasn’t a great year.

2013? Well –I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I’ve never been one to make New Year resolutions. I think most of them are kept for about two weeks before they get forgotten – and why make a promise to yourself that you’re not going to keep?

I know that I could swear to drink less – god knows my bank balance and my liver would probably thank me for it – but it would only last until the next big night out. And to be honest it won’t make me any happier – healthier maybe, but that’s a different story.

I could swear to lose weight – but I make that promise ever year. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. mostly I just torture myself when I fail.

So this year I am making just one resolution. I’m going to try harder.

At one thing in particular, but mostly just try harder in life in general.

I turn 30 this year. I’m not as scared of that as I once was, but it still feels like a big milestone. 30 years on this earth and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I’ve never really tried hard to make my life better.

I’ve been lucky. I’ve had opportunities and chances and experiences that most people would kill for. I have lived in half a dozen different countries, I have met incredible, wonderful people, and I now live a life that most people dream of. But most of that was lucky breaks. I had wonderful parents who took the biggest risk of their lives about 28 years ago, and gave me a childhood I will treasure forever. Without really trying I got the grades to get into a brilliant University and met some incredibly special people, one of whom continues to shape my life even today by helping me get to the porch on the beach in the Caribbean where I’m writing this. I worked in one of the most iconic places in the world, in a job I loved even when I eventually decided it wasn’t really for me. And now I live on a small island that most people would describe as paradise.

To be honest I have been one lucky, lucky (insert swearword of choice).

But have I really tried and worked for any of it as hard as I could? I don’t feel like I have. Sometimes it feels like the universe has just dumped it all in my lap.

Now I want something more than I have ever wanted in my life. And this time I am going to try to get it. I’m going to try my hardest. I am going to put everything I have into achieving the one goal that really means something to me right now.

Will I succeed? Who knows. But maybe all I can ask for is that when I look back I will be able to say that I gave it my all. That I did everything I could. After all, what more can I do?

So that is my New Year resolution. I’m going to try. Really try.

Oh, and Happy New Year. 2013. It’s going to be interesting….

No comments:

Post a Comment